Saturday, April 18, 2009

Harry Kalas 1936-2009

Philadelphia sports fans lost a great man this week, Harry Kalas longtime announcer with the Phillies passed away on Monday April 13th, 2009. I grew up with the Phillies, at the old
Veterans Stadium, and I also grew up on Harry Kalas as the voice of the Phillies, well that voice is now silent; after 38 years as the Phillies play-by-play announcer there is a void that I never imaged would be there. I have come to take for granted that when you turn on the game, there was Harry. Well that has all changed now, and now I have to get used to a new announcer, oh, we will never replace Harry, just as he was so unique to what he did for a living, we are all just as unique at what we do. There are no replacements, just new chapters- waiting just a few pages back while the current chapter finishes it's task. On a personal note I will always embrace new chapters wherever or whenever they occur, while occasionally smiling for no reason as I think about past chapters that I have enjoyed so much. So long old friend, you will be missed...

No comments: