Thursday, March 03, 2011

Freedom of Speech

Well, our decency as a Nation has finally full circle to bite us where we sit- "High Court Rules for Anti-Gay Protesters at Funerals"
The First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution reads in part:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Yes, everybody in the US is entitled to free speech, I don't know if the founding fathers even considered what speech was to be protected in the coming centuries. I am sure that they would be appalled at the speech that we consider free. Our Declaration of Independence also states:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
We also have certain unalienable (absolute) rights. Hmmmm... I see a problem here, by defending the rights of a few citizens, we are also dying other people (citizens) of THEIR rights, their right to Liberty (freedom).

This is undoubtedly a tough call, but it all boils down to the fact that while the speech (vile as it is) for the Westboro Baptist Church is being protected under our laws, what about the protection of rights for the grieving families of our military who have paid the ultimate sacrifice? These souls who were fighting for the very rights that now comfortably shroud these hate mongers that unsuccessfully pass themselves off as a Church? I think that the rights of the Declaration of Independence should have some bearing in this case, I firmly believe that. I don't know what to do, the High Court has spoken- I always thought I would be a good judge, I am fair, I can see both sides and feel that I could rule on the side of the right. But when you are talking law it is hard to rule on the side of 'right.' It usually rules on black and white, but the vibrant gray that always exists simply become collateral damage to this judicial machine.
I am against these protests, these families should be allowed to bury their family members in a peaceful, somber ceremony. I don't know what else to say except that we do have a God in heaven, he gave us Jesus who went to die on the cross and cleanse us with his blood. We are, ever since that day, 'free of sin' by that very sacrifice. But, there is one caveat- we need to recognize this sacrifice, we need to accept Jesus as our savior. I don't know how this Church can exist, given my previous statement. Anybody who accepts Jesus as their savior can not, by definition, behave the way they have been, and thanks to the High Court ruling, will continue to. I pray for strength for these grieving families, the words that these protesters speak do not represent the opinion of this author, OR the overwhelming majority of this great Country. God Bless America.

No comments: